Sunday, February 21, 2010

Charles Hugh Smith

Charles Hugh Smith's blog Of Two Minds is one of the best blogs out there and his current posting is without question the finest rant I have ever read. You will find a link to the left and I heartily encourage all to visit. I can't say I always agree 100% with Mr. Smith, but most days I feel as though he is saying what I would like to say. Excellent, excellent work Mr. Smith.

I am not a particularly religious person but I do consider myself a spiritual person and this country is in fact spiritually and morally rotten to the core as Charles Smith points out. It is difficult for me to express in words how screwed up we are. Our sense of honesty, fair play, and integrity are almost totally lacking. It seems as though we no longer as a society care much about right from wrong. Stealing cable? So what. Cheating on food stamps and welfare? Big deal. Laying on your fat ass while others pay for your existence? Your deserve it, right?

Whether or not the economy tanks again is almost certain in my view but certainly not assured. We may pull out of this, but when and for how long? In my mind when or if things get really tough, we are screwed because the values of the past are long gone. Many have no clue how to take care of themselves because they never had to. They don't really understand the concept of sacrifice and doing without because, let's face it, those things, which I consider to be necessary for us to right the ship, where never taught to them.

We have become largely a nation of get what you can, as much as you can, without worrying about what we have to do or who we have to step on. We feel entitled to a big house, nice car, and plenty of toys just like what we think others have. The thing is, many of those with "all the toys" really can't afford them either. We are not doomed because of the "big banks" or car companies or credit card companies or government or name your villain. We are doomed because of what we have become. Nothing wrong with being rich or poor. It just is. Nothing wrong with wanting things. What is wrong is expecting good things to come your way without earning them.

No comments:

Post a Comment