Monday, July 5, 2010

jobs?

Well, it seems like regardless of the week, month, or year we just aren't doing well. The construction sector got hammered again as was expected by most. I can't help but wonder what has happened to all the "shovel ready" projects we heard about from this administration before and after election time. I visit The Infrastructurist often and there seems to be lots of potential work out there. You may or may not agree with a WPA type of program but the potential for lots of jobs is there. Having said that, I wonder where other types of jobs would come from? If you have an answer for that one for goodness sake let someone know.

As I have said before I am a certifiable doomer. It isn't so much that I think the world will end soon but I think we have problems in this country with our economic and political structure that will not be easily solved soon if ever. A radical reset will be in order.

There just doesn't seem to be much demand out there for the things that drive hiring and production in our economy, namely stuff people can't afford or don't want. Consumers aren't consuming as much so businesses aren't hiring as much. Pretty simple concept. People may be getting the idea that the ability to make payments is not the same as being able to afford the current object of their lust.

If we don't buy things we can't afford or spend our weekends at Walmart, how do we keep our economy afloat? Good question. Seems to me that we need to begin producing goods in our own country for our own people to buy. We need to maybe lower our expectations a bit in regard to our homes and our rides. We need to begin rebuilding our infrastructure post haste as things seem to be crumbling before our eyes. I don't think anyone really knows what will resurrect our economy but I think it is destined to be a slow painful process for millions of people because it feels as though we may really be in deep shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment